When the travel bug bites you, it’s hard not to dream in travel. As a part-time traveler (for now…), I often find myself reeling my fantasies in whenever I let my thoughts wander upon the next beach or ambient city to visit next! As I prepare for my next summer destination, a little dose of inspiration is sometimes needed to help maintain motivation with work and prepare for an upcoming travel trip.
A majority of people dream of travel. Some even make it a reality. Making that dream a reality has been the case for Tom Stevenson — traveler, influencer, and creator of The Travelling Tom.
For fellow travelers and teachers who catch themselves daydreaming of summer vacation, journey with me each week to explore a spotlight into inspiring travel blogs.
Here is a peek into The Travelling Tom.
What You’ll Find
- ESL teaching tips when traveling abroad.
- An authentic, down-to-earth voice focused on the experience of travel.
- Packing lists to gear up for your next travel destination!
- Comprehensive and easy-to-navigate travel guides on various European countries, Australia, and the Philippines.
Why You Should Check Tom Out
- He has insightful packing lists and insider tips of the ins and outs of the area via his own personal experience living abroad.
- His comprehensive guides are thorough without being convoluted. There is even a section dedicated to hostel lists with a link for immediate booking!
- His personal anecdotes are naturally interwoven into his guides (aka he doesn’t sound robotic).
- He likes dinosaurs. Enough said.
A Peek into The Travelling Tom
Tom was very gracious to allow me to interview him and answer a few questions about his travels, philosophy, inspiration, and survival as a traveler.
The questions included:
- Tag it Up: What’s your tagline?
- Hustle: How do you survive and stay on the grind?
- Inspiration: What/who has been the greatest inspiration in creating a blog for your travels?
- All Over the Place: What impact do you want your work to have on the world?
- Living La Vida: Where are you now and what is your vision for The Travelling Tom ?
- Keepin’ it Real: What’s your advice on staying humble while growing in fame and fortune. 😉
Here is what Tom had to say:
The Travelling Tom’s Advice to my Students
If you want to go travelling, you should do it. The experience will open your eyes and tear you a lot about the world and yourself in the process. Travelling is one of the best forms of education. It strips away our ignorance of the outside world.” — Tom Stevenson
For all you travelers or aspiring voyagers, I highly encourage you to get in touch with Tom if you have any questions and tips along your journey!
Travel Guides to Check Out:
Learn about this coastal city located in Northern Spain, along with what to pack, mode of transportation, accommodation, and places to visit!
2. New Zealand
While the image of Lord of the Rings may pop into mind when thinking of New Zealand, there’s more to this country than mere magic. Tom’s guide features travel routes for backpackers, cities to visit, where to stay, and much more. Check it out!
Not knowing much about the Philippines, Tom’s guide was a real eye-opener of what the Philippines has to offer as a travel destination. In this guide, you will learn what a jeepney is, best modes of transportation, culture, must-visit places, and hostel and hotel recommendations (to list a few highlights of his guide).
Call to Action
Are you ready for adventure?
Today is your day.
Learn from other travelers.
Read. Write. Breath.
Live in this very moment that you were given. Every step forward is a step towards your next adventure.
No matter how ordinary life may seem, you make it extraordinary. Create your travel destination from where you are. Then… plan for the next. 🙂
Hi there! 🙂
My name is Laura Gulbranson, but my kids call me Miss G.
I write stories about travel, teaching, and love as The Ordinary Love Story: my undercover superhero alias when I’m not teaching. Don’t tell my students. 😉
Subscribe to my email list if you would like to keep up with my undercover alias as I share resources for teachers who love travel, travelers who love learning, and everyone in between. Journey with me. Let’s exchange stories.
This way → Please Click.
Stay tuned for a traveler’s spotlight on Roam next Wednesday!
The Ordinary Love Story (Laura)